
After Arusha, we came back to Dar, where Joe and Betsy had graciously offered to watch Eliot for two days while we went to Zanzibar sans bebe. It was the first time we have ever left Eliot overnight, and it was SO nice!! He didn't appear to have missed us one bit, and we had the luxury of two days without worrying about naps!! So, after dropping him off, we headed over to domestic departures at the Dar Es Salaam airport.

I don't think a single person checked our IDs, and after writing our names on a clip board, we hung out in the departure lounge for a bit before heading onto the plane.

Once we arrived on Zanzibar (20 min flight), the airport was MOBBED with little kids. I'm not sure if they fly to the mainland for school, or if we just happened to arrive on a "visit the airport" day.

The town of Zanzibar was built by merchants from Oman and Yemen back in the day, and you can really tell. The streets and buildings are very similar to old medina's of Arab cities we've visited. There's quite a bit of history on Zanzibar, though much of it sad history, associated with the slave trade run by the Arabs of East Africans from this part of the continent.


On our first night, we went to a restaurant our friends had told us about called "the two tables." It is in the home of a Zanzibary family, and the husband I think was of Indian descent, but he was the cook, and while we were warned it was a random experience, you really had to be there to believe it!! This is Derek waiting in the "waiting room" while the table was presumably set.

I have to say, I REALLY did not want to remove my shoes, and cursed that I hadn't brought socks with me. Add socks to the "must have at all times in handbag" list for my life and travels these days, right along with hand sanitizer and a roll of toilet paper.

Here I am as we left the "restaurant." Despite having zero ambiance and being a super random experience, the food I must say was pretty fantastic, and we did not get sick one tiny bit!!

We went out to the beach the next day. The beaches of Zanzibar truly are beautiful, and we really enjoyed seeing them on our trip.

We read...

Watched sailboats....

Drank fruity drinks...

All without a baby!! And, after a while, we missed him, so we went back to Dar. And do you know, I could have sworn he grew while we were gone for two nights!?! After picking him up, we sadly packed our bags and headed back to Tunis.
I love all the pictures, but I especially like the one of you with the school kids. You look like, "wtf?" and the little girl behind you looks like, "yeah, wtf?" Haha. xo!
ReplyDeleteEven though you have more passports stamps than I do. I did have two pairs of footsies with me at all times and Dado had a pair in his pocket!!!
ReplyDeletederek says WTF is not family friendly, however, I agree it was a fitting observation...
ReplyDelete